Friday, February 09, 2007
Making Progress!!!
Tonight, Tom finished working in the workroom in the garage. The room is all ready for the move. Once the freezer is moved into its spot and the kiln is put where the freezer has been, I can call the electrician to get the kiln hooked up! I am SO excited! Today, I spent most of the day throwing. I used up a 25# bag of clay which I really liked. (finding THE right clay is important! There are hundreds of different kinds available, and once you find the RIGHT one, it is like a marriage or something...it has to agree with your throwing style, and work style. It must speak with your voice and be able to sing in your key...) I made two large bowls to gift my sisters with. They are copies of an earthenware bowl my mother had that we all loved. My oldest sister wanted it, but my brother stole it after my mother died. I found a glaze that is about the same color as Mother's bowl, and I hope to complete the bowls and get them sent to the sisters I still talk to (three out of four) by the anniversary of my mother's death in May. The rest of the clay I threw today was made into small bowls, and a vase. I did make a large baking dish/casserole, but got mad at the handles and smashed it. Tonight, I trimmed all the bowls. I really hate to trim, but it has to be done. I finished 12 bowls. Good thing I am not aspiring to be a production potter, or I would starve. Most production potters can throw 30 pieces in an hour! It took me over an hour to throw 12 bowls, and at least an hour and a half to trim the dang things. Factor in the cost of the materials and firing, and I would have to charge WAY too much per bowl to MAKE money! I will have to settle on breaking even! I guess if I can sell enough stuff to cover my clay addiction, I will be happy! If I MAKE money, I will probably go buy a bigger kiln!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment